What is stress?
In simple words stress is your body’s response to pressure. Many different events,situations we face in a day which causes stress,especially when you are doing something new or something you are facing for which you were not mentally prepared.
Everyone deals with stress in his/her own way. It all depends on your personality,thinking,upbringing,past events and other surrounding circumstances. When you encounter stress,your body releases stress hormones that trigger the fight and activate your immune system to protect.
At one level stress is good,but too much stress creates a negative impact on your mind and body.
What makes you stressful in life?
Job,money management,divorce or work related stress is some main reasons for stress. Stress can be there if you are going through a traumatic situation,and Even positive life changes like moving into a new home or changing jobs,marriage also creates stress.
What are the signs of stress?
Stress might be long term or short term.
Following are the symptoms of stress:-
- Change in mood
- Sweating palms
- Decreased sex drive
- Difficulty in sleeping or changing sleeping patterns
- Digestion problems
- Feeling anxious
- Low energy
- Muscular pain,especially in neck and shoulders
- Feeling frustrated
- Racing heartbeats
- Nail biting
Stress always kept himself hidden,it’s not easy to identify.
These are a few things to observe.
- Psychological signs you may find are lack of concentration,worry,anxiety.
- Emotional signs are,you may get angry,irritated,depressed,moody frustrated
- Physical symptoms are high blood pressure,changes in weight,frequent cold and cough,infections and changes in the menstrual cycle.
- Behavioral signs are you become careless about yourself.Intake of drugs and alcohol and smoking increases
What are the types of stress?
The National Institute of mental health (NIMH) has identified two types of stress mainly.(Source : medical news today)
Chronic stress and Acute stress
Also NIMH had found three more types of stress.
- Routine stress
- Sudden situational changes
- Traumatic stress
What is acute stress?
This is a short term stress,it may be positive or negative. We can say it as a day to day life stress.
What is Chronic stress?
This stress is hidden and life incidents which create a deep impact on our life is called chronic stress. E.g.Divorce,debt, ongoing financial issue, etc or post traumatic stress. Chronic stress creates a deep impact on your body and then on your lifestyle.
What is the impact of stress?
Stress might create following impact on your physical health
- Hair loss
- Heart Diseases
- Sexual dysfunction
- Tooth and gum disease
How to do stress management ?
To manage stress,help yourself first:
Identify the stress area.
Observe the situations or circumstances when you feel stress.
Don’t ignore physical symptoms like tense in muscle tiredness,headache,migraines.
Review your life style
Change bad habits like smoking or alcohol
Build strong relationship with friends and family to manage stress
Eat healthy food
Prefer green vegetables and immunity building food.
These supplements will help you to reduce stress and anxiety:
Use lemon balm in your diet.
Omega 3 fatty acids
Do regular exercise –
Swimming,running,dancing,cycling,aerobics are good exercises for stress management.
To develop the habit of regular exercise do the exercise at least for 21 days without a break.
More tips for stress management
- List some solutions to the problems you are facing.
- Accept the things which are beyond your control.
- Take a break and relax for a few days.
- Set reasonable goals as a daily task.
- Resolve issues before they become crises.
- Take a long breath when you are in a tense situation.
- Make time for hobbies.
- Maintain a gratitude journal and achievement list to boost positivity.
- If things are not happening as per your expectations,let it go. Believe that the universe is having better options for you.
- Prefer walking when going to the super supermarket or the nearest shop.
- Use stairs instead of elevators.
- Park your car as far as from the door
- Wash your car/two wheeler
- Clean your house
- Walk on your lunch breaks
- Take 8 hrs sleep.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Keep mobile away for one hour.
- Do mindful meditation
- Accept yourself and accept the situation as it is.
- Love yourself.
- Get professional help
Watch these videos for stress management.
You can also read this article stress management.
Food can be your biggest allies or enemies.It can make your stress level up or down.
Here are a few suggestions which will help you to reduce stress and anxiety.
1.Nuts as a snack is a good option.
2.Include spinach in the diet.
3.Oatmeal is a good breakfast option.
4.Enjoy dark chocolate.
5.Herbal tea /green tea is a good stress release drink.
6.Drink milk before going to sleep.
7.Add avocados to your diet.
8.Vitamin C enriched fruits like oranges,strawberries must be included in the daily diet.
You can also read this article for a stress relief diet.
Consult your doctor for better stress management.