May was “mental health awareness month” and recently we celebrated “global parents day”. Parenting is a challenging and rewarding job. Taking care of your physical, mental, spiritual, and social health will help you to feel like the best parent. Let’s explore some awesome parents’ self-care tips.
It’s very important to give time for self-care even if you are feeling that you can’t invest a single minute in yourself. There are many self-care strategies for parents, you should experiment with them. Let’s explore! Mental health conditions affect everyone regardless of gender, age, financial conditions, and health status. So mental health wellness is more important when you are doing a parenting job.
You can’t predict how your mental illness will affect your child’s mental health.
Most of the time poverty, occupational or marital difficulties, poor parent-child communication, parent’s aggressive behavior, and single parents. These are the main reasons for parents’ mental illnesses.
Why Parent’s mental health is so important?
Because mental health orders can tend to run into the family and can be passed down from parent to child. And this risk increases when both parents are having mental health illnesses. A study says children of depressed parents are three times more at risk of mental illnesses. It may affect on child’s physical health also.
You can avoid such things by
- Focus on your relationship with the child. If there is any communication gap, try to fill it so your relationship will be more compatible.
- Give yourself permission to do your parenting job more sufficiently.
- Ask for help and support from your extended family and friends.
- Positive self-esteem
- Good coping skills.
- Stop comparison.
- When stress is trying to take control, pause yourself and do deep breathing. Drink a glass of chill water.
- Take professional help.
- Practice self-care.
Here are some practical Parents’self-care tips for you.
Let’s consider you are having only one minute:-
- Inhale and exhale for 5 counts.
- Hug someone.
- Drink a glass of water.
Let’s consider you are having five minutes:-
- Talk with your friends or mom to get refreshed.
- Make a smoothie for you.
- Take a little sun bath.
- Clean your room.
Let’s consider you are having ten minutes:-
- Move your body. Do some small exercises which are beneficial for your physical and mental health.
- Take care of your skin by putting a face mask on.
- Walk barefoot for some time.
- Write a journal.
- Take a fifteen-minute power nap.
Let’s consider you are having an hour:-
- 1. Listen to the motivational or inspirational podcast.
- 2. Pamper yourself.
- 3. Join an online yoga class or any hobby class.
- 4. Cook some delicious food for you.
- 5. Practice mindfulness.
Please don’t ignore these basic parents’ self-care tips like taking healthy food and eight hours of sleep.
- Meditate – Even 5 min meditation will help you feel rejuvenated. If you are new to meditation, you will find many apps and youtube videos of guided meditation.
- Spend Time In Nature – Spending time in nature is good for our psychological well-being. A quick walk in a park or garden could help you to feel relaxed.
- Listen to your favorite music
- Join a book club or library- Joining a book club will increase your social interaction. It will cultivate your reading habit.
- Go for a walk. Walking is the best exercise for your physical and mental health.
- Keep your mobile phone and all things away and enjoy your time for a while.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and proteins daily.
- Develop a bedtime routine.
- Write or share what you feel about yourself.
Integrate these self-care tips into your routine. Please remember when you are feeling that you are not having time for self-care, believe me, you need a practice self-care that time.
Self-Care Tips For Parents Who Are Anxiety Patients
Raising children is a challenging job and it’s natural when you are feeling anxiety and worry but if you are feeling anxiety for more than two weeks then you should ask for professional help.
Here are some symptoms of anxiety:-
- Finding it hard not to worry.
- Feeling restless
- Having trouble relaxing or sleeping
- Having trouble concentrating
- Getting frustrated
- Feeling your heart racing.
Here are some everyday tips for parents who are having anxiety:-
- Focus only on one task at a time.
- Respond to any situation calmly. Take 5 counts of a long breath before responding.
- Use positive self-talk.
- Maintain a daily journal.
- Add breathing exercises to your routine.
- Eat healthy food.
Self-Care Tips For Parents Who Are Having Anger Management Issues
Anger is a natural human emotion and you can manage anger in a positive and healthy way to set a good example for your children.
Reasons for anger :
- Balancing all things like work, family, household needs, social activities, and spending time with children is really difficult.
- Sometimes parents don’t agree on some decisions of their partner and get frustrated.
- Sometimes your child gets angry and reacted rudely.
- Other factors like illness, stress, financial burden, lack of sleep and not getting “Me Time”.
What are the early signs of anger?
- faster heart rate
- churning stomach
- agitation – that is, feeling tense or cranky
- faster breathing
- facial flushing
- tensing shoulders
- clenching jaw and hands
Anger Management Tips For Parents:-
- Identify your anger.
- Breathe slowly. Breathe in for two seconds and Breath out for two seconds.
- Do something that soothes you.
- Go for a walk or run.
- Take a warm shower.
- Talk with your friend.
If you are thinking that these tips are not that effective when you are angry, please take professional help.
Self-Care Tips For Single Parents
- Manage your routine and make time for yourself.
- Skip the guilt. Try not to feel guilty about taking time away from your children.
- Keep a positive outlook.
- Build a support system.
- Set boundaries. Don’t allow other people to take advantage of your time and energy.
Here are some tips for parents to manage stress:-
1. Make healthy lifestyle choices.
2. Create a relaxation routine like deep breathing, meditation, yoga, and mindfulness.
3. Take care of your mental health always.
Conclusion: You don’t need to spend a lot of time or money on self-care activities. Identifying symptoms of anxiety or anger will help you to manage your mental health. Adding healthy habits to your routine will make a big.
I hope these parents’ self-care tips will help you.